Sunday, February 6, 2011

TEGAN FIRST WEEK AT ED5 INTERNATIONAL

Hi Everyone, here is a little bit about my first week at ED5!!

My week started off with acting on Monday morning. We basically just played acting games and got to know one another as well as our teacher who's done so much work around the world and in Australia, including starring on All Saints. We then had Warm up which we have in the morning 3 times a week. This was with William, the director of the school. After lunch we then had Jazz with William again. He showed us the warm ups slowly, so we did everything correctly and we didn't have time to learn a routine.After Jazz we had ballet. My ballet teacher is in her 60's and a little bit scary, but I still really liked her. We just did barre work and she was watching us to see if we would be in intermediate ballet or advanced ballet.Then it was home time and I came home and collapsed on the lounge.

Tuesday we started with the warm-up class again. We then had a theory class called History of Musical Theatre, which i really liked. I then had Musical Theatre and we learnt a routine from Chicago, “Me and My Baby.” After Musical Theatre I had Hip Hop. Our Hip Hop teacher graduated from ED5 in 2009 and he was amazing. Our warm up nearly killed me. We did an ab work out and there were some things I physically couldn’t do. He then taught us a routine and he hardly gave us any time to get it through our heads and he didn’t go over it much. It was so fast but such a cool routine.

Wednesday started with our warmup class. We then split into three groups for singing, drama and tap. I had singing first and we had to individually sing to the director and the three singing teachers. This was to determine if we were going to do Vocal Major or Dance Major, for the year. I was hoping to do Vocal Major and I sang the song I sang for my audition, “Hurt” by Christina Aguilera. The next day I found out that Vocal Major is what I’ll be doing. So instead of having two ballet classes a week I only have one and have Performance Coaching instead. I then had tap. We were taught a couple of exercises and had to do them for the tap teacher and the other director. This was to see if we were going to be in Advanced, Intermediate or Beginner tap. I was put in beginner, which wasn’t surprising. We finished the day with drama where we played a few games and got to know each other. We also had to split into groups and do a TV commercial that involved singing, simultaneous moves and had to be about time travelling sneakers.

Thursday we started with Yoga instead of Warm-up. We then had Music Theory for our theory lesson. However, because we didn’t get to do group singing on Wednesday we sang instead. We learnt “Dancing Queen” by Abba and sang in different harmonies as a choir.After lunch, the rest of the afternoon we spent doing Repertoire with William, the director. Rep is where we learn a musical and put on a showcase at the end of each term. This term we’re doing “A Chorus Line.” William taught us about 8 counts then asked us to do it with music. As soon as the music started he had already stopped it because we had done it wrong. We had to start standing facing the back with our legs straight and our leg muscles working, our shoulders down and arms back but relaxed and our core switched on. He then walked around pushing people from behind and if they stepped forward he’d yell at everyone telling us to use our core. He kept pushing people until they would stop moving. We then spent 5 minutes on one count until it was perfect. I was so scarred my eyes kept getting teary. It was like the army for dancing. We then moved at a quicker pace and learnt the rest of the routine and went over it and over it for 3 hours. I had never been so sweaty and tired ever. By the time 330 came I was so relieved and William gave us all a talk congratulating us for working so hard and warned us that this is what rep will always be like because they only want to see the best in us.

Friday morning we had a meeting with the directors and recieved our individual timetables.Usuaully we would have Acrobatics but our Acro teacher is away for a couple of weeks so instead we did Jazz. We learnt an awesome commercial Jazz routine to “Sweet Dreams” by Beyonce. Afterwards I had contemporary and went through the exercises. I finished my week with Vocal Majors had Performance Coaching. Each week in Performance Coaching we will be singing songs of different genres and being trained on how to perform them properly. It was a great way to end an extremely hard week, mentally, physically and emotionally. But I survived it and I was so relieved it was the weekend!!!

Have a great first week back to class everyone! Talk with you soon

Love, Teges!

No comments: